History of St. Catherine'sSaint Catherine Church - Middletown, NJU

Saint Catherine's church was originally a barn and carousel. Priests from Saint Ann's in Keansburg celebrated Mass in East Keansburg from August 1937to 1948 during the summer months. Rev. Francis P. Gunner was appointed first resident pastor in 1948. Fr. Gunner remodeled the church building and acquired most of the furniture from other churches. Rev. Thaddeus Wojciehowski, purchased property, moved the rectory (literally), renovated the church and acquired the beautiful hand painted murals which hang in the sanctuary. At the same time, he bought a tavern and converted it into the parish hall. He also erected the school and the convent. The school opened in 1964 and was staffed for many years by the Sisters of Mercy from North Plainfield. Rev. John B. Cook added a gymnasium and two kindergarten trailers to the school. In addition, he built a new rectory and refurbished the church. The old rectory now serves as the day-care center. Due to declining enrollment, the parish was forced to close the school. The convent has recently been re-opened by the Sisters of Mercy as "The Gathering Place",a spiritual direction and retreat center for the Bayshore Area.


Rev. Francis P. Gunner 1948-1955

Rev. Thaddeus Wojciehowski 1955-1967

Rev. John B. Cook 1967-1992

Rev. James A. Conover 1992-1994

Rev. Sam Siriani (Temp. Admin) 1994

Rev. Daniel C. Hesko 1994-present



Sr. Margaret Bulfin, RSM 1964-1969

Sr. Anne Powers 1969-closing



Website Hosted By